Updated Ideas for would be kit designers
Posted on May 18, 2005
Here is a Updated list of ideas for a Part 15 AM Transmitter kit Design. the fact that people pay $1k for a crystal controlled transmitter, makes me think a kit like this would sell great…
1) Modulation should be capable of 100% Negative and 150% Positive Modulation
2) Unit should be 2 peice with a Modulator in one and the RF Deck in a Pole mounted sealed housing
3) Output should be 50 ohms
4) Final should be switchable between 100mw and 1 watt input levels
5) Final RF components should be rated for 5 watts
to make the final RF stage indestructable from high VSWR.
6) Modulator should be Class “A” with the final RF being Class “E” output
7) Transmitter should include a built in output tuning meter to aid in tuning antenna.
8) Transmitter should employ a Dual loop PLL w/TCXO
9) Audio input should be 600 Balanced +4dbm and RCA unbalanced -10mv and should be transformerless
10) Audio response should be from 10 to 10,000Hz, with the ability to pass low frequency square waves with no tilt or overshoot
11) Audio and power leads should employ ferrite beads to keep studio lines from being least resistance to ground
12) Two ground options should be available. one sized to #10 and #8 lugs
13) Power supply should be filtered in the unit itself and include onboard regulation and filtering and power input should be 110v 3 prong grounded plug like found on computer power supplies. unit should also have filtered 12Vdc input as well.
14) Transmitter should be synchronizable
15) Unit should be a kit and cost no more than $400.00
By Rev. Robert P. Chrysafis