Total posts : 45366
After being out of commission for a bit due to coupler problems (initial symptom was blown diodes in the SWR meter circuitry – ultimately due to tiny bits of wire strands having fallen into places they shouldn’t be) I’ve made a few more adjustments to my installation:
I’m think I’ve settled on 750 KHz (perhaps I can call it “Super Seventy-Five”) – I’m able to get a good match with the coupler at that frequency and almost no hum.
I’ve elevated the power cable from my motor home to the power pedestal – not much; just enough to get it up off the ground (about a foot) to avoid capacitive losses before my signal even makes it to the power lines.
With those couple changes, and despite the fact that I am at the end of the line and on my own transformer, I get about a half-mile good quality coverage along the power line, checked with a car radio while driving down the road. Possibly a bit more for a radio actually connected to or very close to the power line (like inside peoples’ houses). In the oppsite direction, where there are no power lines (so it is all free-radiation) I get a good signal for almost 1/8 mile, a noisy signal for another 1/8 mile or so, and can at least detect the presence of my signal for almost 1/2 mile away (opposite directions from the power line).